If there’s one scent that wraps itself around the whole of December and gives it a warm, comforting squeeze, it’s gingerbread. So we’ve bottled those beautiful festive fragrances of warming spices into a deliciously versatile syrup, which turns an everyday latte, pancake, dessert or cocktail into something really special.
Makes 500ml of syrup
- 5-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 400ml water
- 1 vanilla pod (split in half and seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground allspice
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 strip of orange zest
- Place all the ingredients into a saucepan over a medium heat, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, allowing the syrup to simmer gently; stirring occasionally. Once you’ve left this for 10-15mins, remove from the heat and cool the syrup in the pan.
- All done! All you have to do now is pour the syrup through a strainer into a clean jug. Decant into sterile, resealable bottles and the syrup could keep fresh for up to 12 months. If you don’t sterilise the bottles, keep the syrup in the fridge and use within several weeks.
How to Use it...
Pour some syrup into a glass, and pour a shot of CRU Kafe Organic Espresso over the top. Add some steamed milk, and drizzle a little extra on top.
Add a splash to Pancake or Waffle mix to spice up your desserts, or why not mix it up with some espresso and pour over your favourite ice-cream (we recommended a nice creamy vanilla or chocolate)
Easy-peasy - mix with some vodka, and top up with a splash of ginger ale or lemonade. Or why not add it to your Espresso Martini or White Russian?
Giving this recipe a try & sharing on social? Make sure to tag us @CRUKafe and use the hashtag #CRUMoments
You might also like...