Racking your brains trying to think of something thoughtful but different to give to your friends this Christmas? How about a real classic with a sprinkle of CRU sparkle; our Chocolate & Coffee Honeycomb is the perfect treat (if you can bring yourself to give it away!)
- Butter for greasing the tray
- 100g chopped, toasted hazelnut
- 300g caster sugar
- 4½ tablespoons of golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons of runny honey
- 5 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- Good pinch of cream of tartar
- Handful of CRU Kafe Organic Signature Beans
- 100g chopped 70% dark chocolate
- 1 shot (25ml) CRU Kafe Organic Intense Roast
- Grease a rectangular baking tray with butter and line with parchment, and spread the chopped toasted hazelnuts and CRU Kafe Organic Signature coffee beans generously all over the tray.
- In a large pan, add the caster sugar, syrup, honey and cream of tartar, as well as 5 tablespoons of water - pop this on the stove and stir over a low/medium heat until the sugar has melted. Once this has happened, increase the heat and bring to a boil - cooking until it reached a temperature of 150°C (use a jam thermometer for accuracy).
- Once you've done this, remove from the heat and quickly add the bicarbonate of soda, whisking vigorously until combined. Pour off mixture into the prepared tray (the one you've scattered with hazelnuts and coffee beans) - giving it a little wiggle to make sure it completely cover all the corners. You need to leave this to cool - bear in mind that this could take anywhere up to an hour.
- Melt the dark chocolate over a bain-marie. Once melted, add a shot of CRU Kafe Organic Intense Roast and mix - once incorporated, take it off the heat.
- Now comes the fun part - crack that honeycomb! Use a rolling pin, a hammer, your own fists if you want to. Once cracked, drizzle with the chocolate, and then pop them in the fridge until cooled. Wrap them up and give to very lucky friends as an edible gift.