Gorgeously grown-up with a merry dash of CRU coffee and a splash of whisky for good measure, these beautiful mince pies are deceptively easy to make and very, very moreish. And when it comes to decorating the tops, get creative with Christmas cookie cutters, play around and let your imagination soar.
Ingredients1 x 400g jar of traditional mincemeat
2 tablespoons of CRU Ethiopian Shakisso Farm ground coffee
3 tablespoons of whisky
75g dried cranberries
75g dried cherries
100g mixed chopped nuts (Using our Party-perfect Coffee Spiced Fruit and Nuts would also work well in this recipe)
1 grated bramley apple
Zest and juice of one clementine
3 x 320g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons of demerara sugar
25g flaked almonds
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/Gas Mark 6.
2. Place the mincemeat in a large mixing bowl. Then add the CRU Ethiopian Shakisso Farm ground coffee, whisky, cranberries, cherries, chopped nuts, apple, zest and clementine juice. Mix well.
3. Take the ready-rolled pastry and place on a surface dusted with flour. The pastry should be about 3mm thick. If necessary, roll the pastry out to be thinner with a rolling pin. Then use round pastry cutters to cut out the bases for the mince pies – about 10cm in diameter. Once done, place them in muffin trays and fill generously with the mincemeat.
4. The mince pies can be topped with more pastry (we particularly like pastry stars or pastry holly), Or if you want a lighter pie top with a few chopped almonds and demerara sugar. If topping with pastry, brush the pastry topping with beated egg and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in the muffin tray and then place on a cooling rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Whether you make your own mincemeat or use shop-bought, these laidback festive crackers will guarantee the perfect final flourish, whatever the occasion.
Join the merrymaking…
Remember to share the love by posting your festive images on social media with #CRUMOMENTS and tag us @crukafe. Whether it’s a photo of one of your CRU merry makes, decorating the Christmas tree, drinking New Year’s Eve CRU cocktails or simply sharing a jolly moment with a friend over the holidays, we can’t wait to see them. Need inspiration? Check out our Merry Christmas Hub to see some of the amazing #CRUMOMENTS already posted by other CRU fans.
Send us as many festive images as you like by midnight on 31st December and each time you do, we’ll enter you in our competition to win free CRU coffee for a whole year*. Good luck!
You’ll also find all 12 of our delicious Christmas-inspired recipes on our Merry Christmas Hub - which one will you try next? Time to get creative…
*See the competition rules at crukafe.com/tandc