Tiramisu: translated literally, it means ‘pick me up’. The classic Italian dessert, generally compromised of coffee syrup soaked biscuits and mascarpone cream, does just that. With it’s sophisticated espresso and cocoa flavour pairing yet light whipped textures, it’s no wonder tiramisu a favourite dessert all around the world.
Shannon Michelle, vegan food blogger, gave us her spin on a classic tiramisu - in an easy to make cupcake format.
The sweet syrup and cinnamon notes in our Organic Half Caff pairs wonderfully with fluffy vanilla sponge cake, and complete with a chocolate sauce filling and topped with a coffee infused buttercream frosting, these Tiramisu Cupcakes are nothing short of irresistible.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup vegan butter*
- 3/4 cup unsweetened oat milk (or other dairy-free milk)*
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 vegan eggs*
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 shots of CRU Kafe Half Caff (2 pods)
For the chocolate sauce filling:
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened oat milk*
For the coffee buttercream:
- 1 cup vegan butter*
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 shot of CRU Kafe Half Caff (1 pod)
*If you're not vegan, just substitute these ingredients for the 'real' thing!
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a saucepan, add the vegan butter and oat milk and simmer on low heat until the butter has melted. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the self-raising flour, caster sugar and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the vegan eggs and vanilla extract. Stir again.
- Pour the melted butter and oat milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to combine the ingredients until it forms a smooth batter.
- Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven for 25 minutes until golden. Use a toothpick to poke the middle of the cupcake, if it comes out clean then the cupcakes are done.
- While the cupcakes are baking, start on the chocolate sauce filling by adding the cocoa powder to a saucepan along with maple syrup, vanilla extract and oat milk.
- Stir the ingredients together and simmer on low heat for 3 minutes until it forms a smooth, creamy sauce. Set aside.
- Brew 2 shots of CRU Kafe Half Caff espresso using two pods.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and remove the centre of each cupcake with a corer or a sharp knife.
- Pour the chocolate sauce into the centre of each cupcake.
- Brush some of the espresso on top of each cupcake.
- Make the coffee buttercream by creaming the vegan butter in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer.
- Add the icing sugar and mix until it forms a smooth buttercream.
- Add the vanilla extract and the remaining coffee you brewed earlier (around 1 shot of espresso should be left). Mix again so the flavours are well combined.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag and ice each of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with some cocoa powder (optional) and enjoy!