The thought of making a Christmas cake is too stressful, but you love the idea of decorating a good quality, shop-bought one? Check out this beauty. Not only is it pretty quick and easy to recreate at the last minute, it will also be the stunning centrepiece that you’re craving for your lavish table. Go on, give it a try...
1kg ready-made fruitcake (either one you made earlier or shop-bought)
25ml coffee flavoured liqueur
1 shot of CRU Intense Espresso
500g packet of marzipan
2 tablespoons of gingerbread syrup (See our Gingerbread Latte Syrup recipe.)
400g ready-to-use royal icing
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Place your fruitcake on a cake board. Use a skewer to puncture the cake with small holes.
2. If you’re going down the quick-cheat route and making this Deliciously Easy Christmas Cakeover at the eleventh hour, you can assemble everything very quickly and no one will ever know! Just before you decorate it, add the Kahlua and CRU Espresso to the cake slowly, a few teaspoons at a time, allowing the liquid to be absorbed through the holes before adding more.
3. Then, dust your work surface with icing sugar. Place the marzipan on top of the icing sugar and use a rolling pin to roll out the thickness of approximately 3mm.
4. Brush the cake with the syrup to make the marzipan stick. Place the marzipan on top of the fruitcake. Use your hands to smooth the sides and the surface. Trim the edges of the marzipan to neaten the look.
5. Use a spatula to spread the royal icing evenly over the marzipan.
6. Decorate with candied fruit, nuts (see our Party-perfect Coffee Spiced Fruit and Nuts recipe), or whatever else you fancy. Time to get creative.
Love the show-stopping frosted berries topping our cake in the photo? Here’s how you make them. It’s a bit fiddly but so worth it. Just wait till you get a standing ovation!
1 egg white
200g caster sugar
1 punnet of redcurrants
- Using a small brush, take one branch of redcurrants at a time and lightly coat with the egg white.
- Toss carefully in the sugar.
- Remove from the sugar and place on a wire rack. Leave in a cool dry place and until dry.
Join the merrymaking…
Remember to share the love by posting your festive images on social media with #CRUMOMENTS and tag us @crukafe. Whether it’s a photo of one of your CRU merry makes, decorating the Christmas tree, drinking New Year’s Eve CRU cocktails or simply sharing a jolly moment with a friend over the holidays, we can’t wait to see them. Need inspiration? Check out our Merry Christmas Hub to see some of the amazing #CRUMOMENTS already posted by other CRU fans.
Send us as many festive images as you like by midnight on 31st December and each time you do, we’ll enter you in our competition to win free CRU coffee for a whole year*. Good luck!
You’ll also find all 12 of our delicious Christmas-inspired recipes on our Merry Christmas Hub - which one will you try next? Time to get creative…
*See the competition rules at crukafe.com/tandc