Racking your brains trying to think of something thoughtful but different to give to your friends this Christmas? How about a real classic with a sprinkle of CRU sparkle? Our Coffee and Chocolate Honeycomb is the perfect treat – if you can bring yourself to give it away. Just wrap it up and decorate it with pretty trimmings.
And if you’d like to see our very own CRU Co-founder and Chef, John Quilter showing you how to make our Coffee and Chocolate Honeycomb step by step, watch our short video now. Then, it’s your turn…
Butter for greasing the tray
100g chopped, toasted hazelnuts
300g caster sugar
4½ tablespoons of golden syrup
3 tablespoons of runny honey
5 tablespoons of water
2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
Good pinch of cream of tartar
Handful of CRU Peruvian Cajamarca beans
100g chopped 70% dark chocolate
1 shot (25ml) CRU Intense Roast Espresso
1. Grease a rectangular baking tray with butter and line with parchment.
2. Spread the chopped toasted hazelnuts and CRU Peruvian Cajamarca coffee beans generously all over the tray.
3. Add the caster sugar, syrup and honey and cream of tartar, as well as 5 tablespoons of water to a large pan.
4. Put the pan on the stove and stir over a low/medium heat until the sugar has melted.
5. Once the sugar has melted, increase the heat under the pan.
6. Bring to a boil and cook until it reaches a temperature of 150°C/130°C fan/Gas mark 2, using a sugar thermometer to check the temperature accurately.
7 .Remove from the heat and quickly add the bicarbonate of soda, whisking vigorously until combined.
8. Pour off mixture into the prepared tray and give it a little wiggle to make it completely cover all the corners.
9. Allow to cool and set (can take up to 60 minutes).10. Melt the dark chocolate over a bain-marie.
11. Once melted, remove from heat and add a shot of CRU Intense Roast Espresso.
12. Crack the set honeycomb into rough planks and drizzle with chocolate. Then, place them into the fridge to set.
13. Wrap them up and give to very lucky friends as an edible gift.
Join the merrymaking…
Remember to share the love by posting your festive images on social media with #CRUMOMENTS and tag us @crukafe. Whether it’s a photo of one of your CRU merry makes, decorating the Christmas tree, drinking New Year’s Eve CRU cocktails or simply sharing a jolly moment with a friend over the holidays, we can’t wait to see them. Need inspiration? Check out our Merry Christmas Hub to see some of the amazing #CRUMOMENTS already posted by other CRU fans.
Send us as many festive images as you like by midnight on 31st December and each time you do, we’ll enter you in our competition to win free CRU coffee for a whole year*. Good luck!