While we have no problem enjoying a cup of coffee on its own, sometimes there's nothing better than an accompanying sweet treat. For this exact reason our co-founder, and chef, John has headed into the kitchen to give us a step-by-step recipe on making some delicious Coffee and Cardamom Shortbread.
200g Plain flour
100g Golden caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top of shortbread
15g CRU Kafe Ground coffee
250g Butter, cut into cubes
Approx. 20 cardamom pods, pods crushed and black seeds inside removed, ground in pestle and mortar or spice grinder
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the plain flour, semolina, 100g of caster sugar , ground cardamom seeds and coffee in a bowl. Mix all these dry ingredients together well.
- Add the cubes of butter and rub into the dry mixture with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- The dough should be moist, carefully knead until the mixture comes together as one piece.
- Roll out on a floured surface or between 2 sheets of parchment. Roughly to the thickness of a pound coin.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out the shortbread. Save any scraps, combine and roll out again.
- Use a spatula to place the shortbread on your parchment lined tray. If the dough feels very soft, place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes
- Bake in the oven for 25-20 minutes
Once your shortbread is done baking, let them cool down before plating them up and enjoying them with a good cup of coffee. We would recommend sharing with them with friends and family, but we'll let you decide if you really want to. Enjoy!